home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Friday, June 24, 2005

K-I-T-T = Keep It Together, Tom

Steve Martin has been one of my patron saints since I first heard my older brother recite highlights from Martin's first Long Playing (33 1/3 rpm) vinyl record album "Let's Get Small". I see now that my devotion has not been misplaced, for Steve, if I may call him Steve--and I may--and I shall--and I am--is also blessed with great insight into the ways of men. Also he is a privileged Hollywood insider who gets all the real dirt on on our fave celebs (e.g., Rodney Dangerfield was really a woman, Marlon Brando ate steaks medium-rare, Bernadette Peters breasts are even more spectacular than you would imagine).

"Bowfinger" (1999) was directed by Frank Oz, a Hollywood hack known only for creating Yoda, and Miss Piggy, and "The Dark Crystal", and "Bowfinger" (1999). We all know the real "author" of "Bowfinger" is Steve Martin. In Hollywood the writer is King, and this is no more completely clearer than in the case of Monsieur Steve. And so, this is how I know that "Bowfinger" (1999)--featuring Eddie Murphy as a half-mad mega-star being carefully managed by the upper echelons of a powerful pop religion, pursued by a low-budget film crew trying to incorporate him into their alien invaders sci-fi picture--is, beyond question, based on the life of Tom Cruise.

| More

0 Comments:

Your Comment?