home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Arrivee

Dear Gang,

Janet and I have arrived safely in London. After nearly 24 hours of snoozing, we have ventured out into Acton, which is like Vermont Ave, south of Sunset Blvd, but with English people and clouds.

Janet (typing away at a station beside me) and I are now in an Internet Cafe - which consists of 6 rows of computer terminals that you can use at the rate of £1/hour. There is a case with cold drinks that you can buy - which, I think, accounts for the "cafe" part of it.

We are confused, tired, cheerful, experiencing occasional waves of stomach-turning horror at what we've done, accompanied by equal waves of stomach-turning excitement. So we're right on track, as far as I can tell.

It's about 7pm local time and it's getting pretty dark out. We are staying in a tiny, but comfortable room at an establishment called "SafeTrap House" , or something along those lines, which looks like it might have been converted from an old Victorian School for Girls. Last night we ate chicken doner kebabs from a local kebab-ist, and cheese, bananas, and McVitie's digestive biscuits bought from a local grocery shop. Janet will meet with the liason from her job tomorrow. We hope to have a permanent dwelling-place-house in 10 days.

I have a headache, because I have had only 4 cups of coffee in the past 48 hours. It's a new abstinence record for me.

I am hit hard by the smell of England. It brings everything back in a flood of memory. "What is that smell? What constitutes this 'fragrance d'Angleterre'?" I wonder, as I tread the overcast streets and try to appear disgruntled so people won't recognize me as a foreigner.

Ah, yes. I know it, that smell.

It's a heady cocktail of cool air, and leaves, and stale cardigans, and diesel fuel. Especially the diesel fuel.

Walking over here to the Internet Cafe, my nose got cold. So I know I'm no longer in Los Angeles.

- Neal R.

| More

8 Comments:

How dare you leave Los Angeles and say nice things about another city! The unmitigated gall. Let's see how long you last without a toothbrush, a decent cup of coffee or a Humvee limo.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 19, 08:38:00 AM GMT+1  

I for one am sick of you foreign types bashing the United States. Just because your cute button nose got cold when you walked to your quaint little "internet cafe" (whatever that is) doesn't give you the right to salg off America. Remember buddy, these colors don't run!

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 19, 08:40:00 AM GMT+1  

God! Can't you think about something or someone other than yourself for once?! Why don't you think about the innocent Jindos for once and the impact your words will have on them?!
http://www.jindoproject.org/

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 19, 08:44:00 AM GMT+1  

You say what needs to be said in a voice that only I can hear.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 19, 08:52:00 AM GMT+1  

I am up way too late, dude. We're really gonna miss you here in Los Angeles. Hope you don't mind the raging kegger we had in your pad after you skipped town. Never knew you could fit so many oiled up midget hookers on that vintage card catalogue.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 19, 08:54:00 AM GMT+1  

Yes, it's definitely the diesel. When I've been in London, I've often thought that the smell reminded me of Disneyland. Specifically, the train ride.

You need to get a picture of those Tower of London crows for your banner.

- By Blogger Rob, at Tue Sep 19, 08:56:00 AM GMT+1  

PS-Who am I gonna go to ComicCon with this year? Who's gonna get me into the pre-Oscar screenings at the Academy? My brain weeps.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Sep 19, 08:56:00 AM GMT+1  

You should all know that I don't miss Los Angeles, or any of you yet, because:

1.) I don't really yet believe that we have left for good
2.) I suspect we may be dead and this is the afterlife
3.) The Intenets destroy time and space

Nice suggestion with the Tower Crows. Yep, those Tower Crows are going to be full-on R+C spokesmodels. Or spokescrows.

And count me in for Comic-Con 2007. But don't expect me to tan.

- By Blogger Neal Romanek, at Tue Sep 19, 11:06:00 AM GMT+1  

Your Comment?