home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Monday, June 27, 2005

Tutankhamun's Crap

King Tutankhamun, or at least some of his leftover crap, is on display at the L.A County Museum of Art until November 15, 2005 (Coincidentally, my birthday is November 12! Yet I am no relation to the be-fabled Tut!). My wife and I, accompanied by Warren Leonard and his wife also, viewed the dead Boy-Pharoah's crap at 10am yesterday morning, accompanied by 5000 white people.

Having heard that this was something in the vein of a monumental estate sale. We came with our checkbooks out, hoping to pick up some fine knick-knacks cheap. But when inquiries were made, we were told the objects in the exhibition were "priceless"-- which did not answer our questions. And still we are baffled. Is "priceless" cheap or expensive? Was everything out of our price range? Or should we have pulled up a van and hired a few Mexican day-laborers? It's going to be bugging me for decades to come, I know.

As I said, the King himself was not at the exhibit. He's buried in a cemetary in Greece. But there was a lot of stuff there that could royally spice up a place--any place at all. That is how much good taste it was in. Much of the great wealth on display was gold-plated--and not just 14K, but more like 1400K!!

I learned a lot about King Tut from the exhibition. Not just that he was an Egyptian and the ruler of Egypt, but also that he died YOUNG. Makes you think.

| More

0 Comments:

Your Comment?