home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Friday, October 28, 2005

Say It Ain't Sulu

Today, reading USAToday.com today - as I do to be told what events are shaping my life - I was shocked at the recent revelation concerning "Star Trek" actor George Takei and his recent revelations.

We all know and love - but, you know, not "love" like in a queer way or nothing - we all know and love George Takei's "Sulu" character on "Star Trek". He was always a character about whom we thought: "You know, I could be that guy. I may not have the mechanical skill and plucky determination to be Scotty. Or have the burning humanistic passion to be Dr. McCoy. Or have the legs to be Uhura. But Sulu, yeah, I could do that job. I mean, piloting a starship is probably like piloting a 747 - it practically flies itself."

Yes, I loved Sulu and thought I knew him (but not "knew him" in a, you know, like Biblical way or anything) (I mean I don't even see him that often, so that would be impossible) (I'll stand next to him in line at a screening now and then - but not like right close to him - not like we're on a date or anything). So imagine my upset then - my anger - when I read the following words this morning:

"(George) Takei joined the Star Trek cast in 1973 as Hikaru Sulu, a character he played for three seasons on television and in six subsequent films"


"Hikaru" Sulu. "HIKARU"! I never knew Sulu had a first name. I mean, I figured he had a first name, but I didn't think it was something we needed to know. How long has he had this first name?? Maybe it's common knowledge and I live a sheltered life. I don't know. I just don't know.

And another thing that's really bothering me - "Hikaru" sounds like a Japanese name to me. I thought Sulu was supposed to be Chinese. Isn't he? Isn't he Chinese?

And now that we're getting all this out in the open, what is up with George Takei's joining the "Star Trek" cast in 1973, 4 years after the series was cancelled?

You never know about people.

| More

4 Comments:

I knew that... *wink* ...but that could be cause when I was 8 I was a total Trekkie... *intermission for rant*

Yes, Trekkie damn it! Not Trekker (that's such a stupid name) -- I hate the rest of the treks there for I'm a Trekkie... got it!

*end of rant intermission* ...but no, I've never gotten dressed up as a Klingon. *giggle*

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 29, 02:35:00 AM GMT+1  

BTW, I was talking about Sulu's first name. :)

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 29, 02:43:00 AM GMT+1  

I always loved the fact that they had talking computers to take care of everything, but a human to steer.

I knew he was Japanese because they interned him briefly during a spat with the Romulans.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Sat Oct 29, 03:51:00 AM GMT+1  

Comment-spam just keeps getting funnier and funnier.

- By Blogger Neal Romanek, at Mon Oct 31, 05:38:00 PM GMT  

Your Comment?