Being a SCREENWRITER is like ...
- being an architect who draws up blueprints for elaborate and complex buildings and then goes door-to-door trying to sell them.
- training intensely week after week, year after year, for the Olympics with virtually zero possibility of ever even getting close to the Olympics.
- endeavoring to be a professional writer of Shakespearean sonnets.
- being an extreme obsessive-compulsive trying to organize a kids party - but less pleasurable.
- being the one who tells a president that his policies are unworkable and even dangerous, and knowing in your heart that when your warnings are proved valid, you will get none of the credit.
- being a mother in a society that says that swears that it treasures motherhood, but frowns on maternity leave.
- being the smart kid in class who deliberately messes up his life so he won't be socially outcast.
- a maker of elaborate and tremendously expensive Italian elbowpads that only 10 people in the world will ever buy.
- trying to observe every law in the Old Testament and still maintain an exciting and enviable lifestyle.