home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Stiff One With Trail Mix

Dear Diary,

Today was a real good day. Not only did I come home to find that the volume of Tony Pierce's "Stiff' that I had done ordered did have arrived but also there was a special surprise in the package which will cause me to be happier than I already am and will gain me much wisdom.

Also I took this series of three pictures of some trail mix which was on the sidewalk near the bus stop near LACMA. Normally, you would call an assembly of three pictures a "triptych", but I think I will call this one a "triptrailmixych" - for it is trail mix that is the subject of the images therein presented...

Photo Hosted at Buzznet.com


Also got a nice email from Dad, who says he likes my work. And that's a big deal. I mean it's not a big deal. But it's a big deal. Try to grow up as we might, spend hours and hours in therapy, build a life of your own to be proud of, and still all you really want in life is approval from your parents. How very sad and how very, very wonderful. If I was a Space Alien looking down on us, I'd say "Oh, the wretched little twits. How sweet they are. Ready the neutron cannon."

Soon - this weekend - I will get my annual haircut. The last haircut I got was over a year ago, before my wedding.

Somewhere around is a before & after photo of that 2004 shearing. I'll post it. My hair now is long. Too long. Oolong.

And while we're discussing oolong, you know what I learned today? Do NOT venture out of your rut. Doing so will only make you unhappy. I stopped at my local coffee shop this morning, as I do every morning, to get a coffee and sometimes a croissant. When I order the croissant, I make sure I say the "r" with a slight "w" to it, so the barrista will think that I am either a.) well-traveled, b.) fluent in French, or c.) gay. I can't stop myself.

But this morning I thought I'd just shake it up a little bit - what with today being the first day of the rest of my life and all. So I ordered an Oolong tea instead of my usual strong black coffee.

I drank the tea on the bus on the way to the work. And the nausea began. And began some more. And continued. And continued some more. And I remembered, from some dim experience way, way in my past, that when I drink tea on an empty stomach I become nauseated. I did not throw up on the bus because, I didn't want to be known as The White Guy Who Threw Up On The Bus This Morning and because I wanted to show off my tremendous strength of will. When I got to work and put down a couple stiff shots of black coffee I felt right as rain, but it was rough going there for a half hour or so.

So...stay in your rut. Do not try new things. Remember, your rut is protecting you!

There was beautiful low-hanging cloud cover in L.A. this evening - cold, blankets of mist, blown in from the sea, obscuring the tops of the 12-storey office buildings.

| More

2 Comments:

im glad you got them and like them

sorry for the delay

tp

- By Blogger you know, at Tue Feb 07, 10:45:00 AM GMT  

Really loving them. Even more than I'd have thought. Occasionally at the end of a reading an entry I want to yell "Touchdown!"

- By Blogger Neal Romanek, at Tue Feb 07, 05:45:00 PM GMT  

Your Comment?