home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

More Tricks

Our car - stolen.

In front of my wife's workplace. In the middle of the day.

"The Bronze Beauty", my wife called her. A Toyota Camry. Her color was technically brown, but we always thought of her as bronze. Bronze is an alloy of copper - usually of copper and tin.

And the theft wasn't the worst thing to have happened to my wife at work yesterday. Maybe some day she'll tell you about it.

I am not so much angered or saddened by the loss of The Bronze Beauty. I am more...baffled, and a little curious - eager to see what happens next.

It seems a lot of things are breaking down in our life now - as if some harsh invisible hand were dismantling things - striking the tents - in preparation for...for what?

Our plan had been to move to England next September. Maybe the move will come sooner than we think.

I am a third of the way into Joseph Campbell's book "The Hero With A Thousand Faces".

Last night I dreamed of a tsunami. I climbed higher and higher, up to the rooftops, to escape the flood of rising water.

| More

5 Comments:

Sorry to hear about the car. That's such a bad feeling -- mine was stolen the day after Thanksgiving last year from my driveway and found a couple days later. It was trashed but not totaled. We've also had a Toyota Camry stolen from the front of the house as well as a Mustang. ***sigh***

- By Blogger djn, at Tue Nov 01, 07:40:00 PM GMT  

I'm sorry to hear about the pumpkin smashing, the car stealing and the other horrible things that are happening. Sometimes it rains in life and it rains hard... but I know the sun will come out again before you know it.

Best wishes and prayers.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 02, 01:48:00 AM GMT  

I was tempted to say something witty, but I think we're past that. I hope Janet is okay, and I have to say if nothing else is going right you are unbelievably lucky to be going through it with her. (As she is with you)

I have always thought it was more important to run towards something rather than run away, but in this case I think a sabbatical, temporary or permanent, from the more toxic parts of the LA lifestyle is probably in order. You could teach English (Oh, yea its England) You could teach bad English...

I am not going to say its going to get better or that it is better anywhere else, but we are thinking about you guys and I am grateful to call you a friend.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 02, 05:00:00 AM GMT  

Many thanks, my friends, for the kind thoughts.

- By Blogger Neal Romanek, at Wed Nov 02, 05:30:00 PM GMT  

In the grand scheme of things, some day you'll be able to look back on the incident and appreciate it for what it is: a setback, but also a damned good story.

Hang in there, and tonight: dream of boats.

- By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Nov 02, 05:48:00 PM GMT  

Your Comment?