home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Friday, January 13, 2006

Screenplay Blitz - Day 3

Per the scheduled schedule, I spent 2 hours yesterday evening typing in the scenes I'd written by hand earlier in the day. It might seem an inefficient process to write out everything twice, but it serves two functions:

1.) a slight bit of rewriting happens as the scenes are typed in, bringing me just that much closer to a finished draft
2.) I am reviewing and chewing over the scenes which will provide fresh fodder for the next day's writing

Also, I seem to get a lot more pages done when I write them by hand.

This morning, slow start:

- Took wife into work
- Picked up laundry
- Took car into shop
- Walked home from car shop, via Circuit City, where I stopped to buy a new FireWire cable.
- Showered
- Goofed off
- Ate lunch
- Went to bookstore

And finally...

...went to local coffee shop to write scenes in a Spiral Notebook (note exciting contrast to yesterday's Legal Pad work!)

Pictured is a picture of the tabletop on which it ALL HAPPENED! If you can identify - based on the picture only - in which Los Angeles establishment I was writing, I will praise you publicly.

Right now I'm waiting for the Car Guy to call to tell us how much our axle & power steering belt & etc repairs amount to.

Sometime tonight...but not right now...I will spend another 2 hrs working - this time at the computer, typing into Final Draft the scenes written earlier today.

The method has been yielding good results - as far as I can tell, based on only two days of it. It's hard. Sitting for two hours at a table with a pen in your hand and a pad in your face is hard. Most of the time I sit there, noticing how little work I'm actually doing, how ridiculous it is that I'm just sitting there holding a pen with absolutely no ideas in my head at all, how slowly the clock is moving.

Then at the end of 2 hours, I'm amazed at how many pages I have filled.

So many pages, that I get depressed when I think of the time it's going to take to type them in later.

---

| More

1 Comments:

Buying bulk digital files is an interesting alternative to stacking everry inch of shelf space with paper.

Check out Drew's Script-o-rama at:

http://www.script-o-rama.com/snazzy/dircut.html

- By Blogger Neal Romanek, at Tue Jan 17, 12:35:00 AM GMT  

Your Comment?