home | articles | fictions | poetry | images | audio & video | shop | bio | contact

Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Chili

This evening, I make THE CHILI.

The Chili is not just A chili. The Chili is THE Chili.

The Chili is my mum's perfect, tried & true, simple yet indomitable recipe, which did sustain me even from my earliest years.

And tonight, I make it. The recipe is so perfect, so ... so ... elegant, that even I who is not great on the kitchen, can impress with it.

I pass on to you the secret, the dread secret, the marvelous secret, of ...

... The Chili:


The Chili
  • 1 large Onion
  • 1 large green Bell Pepper
  • 1 pound Ground Beef
  • 2 pounds can Kidney Beans
  • 1 pound can Crushed Tomatoes (of "Zesty Mexican" style, if that's your thing)
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons Chili Powder
  • I like to put in half a clove of finely chopped Garlic, but that's me - superstition, I think
  1. Chop up the Onion and Green Pepper (and the magic half-clove of Garlic).
  2. Brown them in olive oil at the bottom of a BIG POT.
  3. Add the Ground Beef and brown it also.
  4. Thrown in a little salt maybe, some pepper possibly.
  5. When the Ground Beef is brown, add the Crushed Tomatoes & add the Kidney Beans.
  6. Add water.
  7. By now you should also have added 2 1/2 tablespoons of Chili Powder.
  8. Bring to boil so as to kill any remaining bacteria, then simmer for a long long time.
  9. I stop simmering when it starts to get thick and chunky and look like chili. Sometimes I get crazy though and add more water and then reduce it again. And again. And again. Depends how many hours I have free.

Serve The Chili in a bowl or something. I enjoy Ritz Crackers crumbled up in mine and grated Monterey Jack cheese liberally sprinkled on top.

Throw the remains of The Chili into the freezer or fridge, perhaps using some kind of plastic storage device. You can reheat it in pot or microwave as you wish, and you will probably find that the more often The Chili is reheated the more yummy it is. After six months of freezing and reheating however, you may reach a zone of diminishing returns.

| More

0 Comments:

Your Comment?